Friday, May 15, 2015

Maximus Distracticus...a blog for the distracted mind

So one day I decided that I'd chronicle some of my days, encounters, opinions and fractured thoughts to share with others that struggle with focusing, commitment and finishing anything.  I set up my Blogger page....and it sat there, and sat there with no posts.  I had a book I needed to finish because it was already late to the library, about 10 half-finished work projects, and some viewing of brain-numbing Disney XD to squeeze into the four hours I have available when I get home from work and before I climb into bed.

So now I'm sitting at my family's community computer.  I hear the TV in the kitchen, my Mom watching Fox News, I hear the constant cha-ching noise of my nephew's phone as competitive bids come in for a Loki figure he has on eBay and my sister yelling across the house questioning what is happening on the news in response to a tiny tidbit of information she heard make its way through the wall.  I might as well be sitting in Grand Central Station trying to write the next great novel.  Focus...focus...focus.

What do I write about?  Maybe my latest business trip to Chicago...filled with a million strange observations at Midway Airport...like the man sleeping on the floor at the gate with his dirty white taped up feet and stretchy abstract patterned pants that weren't quite covering his backside.  The pungent odor of a needed yearly bath very obvious...and my praying that this guy wouldn't get on the plane and choose to sit next to me -- one of the bad and good points of flying Southwest.  What can you do when you get on a plane and someone sits next to you that stinks?  Can you complain to the flight attendant and ask to be moved.  What if there are no more seats, can you get a smelly passenger refund?  Surprisingly enough, there may a "body odor" clause in your ticket fine print.  It was funny watching from across the gate area as different people moved into the only available standing space -- next to the odiferous man on the floor -- sniff the air, try to decide where the smell came from, look down at the exposed back end crack at the top of the 80's style stretchy pants, and move across the room to fresher air.

Maybe I could write about the computerized beverage machine at the noodles restaurant that I had to help three other patrons with so that they could get their soda before their noodles turned into a brick. Did you want zero calorie, no caffeine, extra caffeine, fruit flavor, no flavor, no bubbles...how do I just get plain water?  I give up...I'll just use the iced tea urn.

What about the white stretch limo at the hotel everyday carrying one passenger -- what looked to be a computer nerd from India -- from the hotel to some unknown destination and back again every day.  The door opening on the limo and a skinny pant leg emerging, followed by a plaid shirt decorated with an official looking access badge hanging from the breast pocket.  Ah, Ramesh, please bring up the car.  I need to get to the SAP integration team meeting before Krishma completes the program modifications in the OTC and IMWM module.  Stop by Starbucks.  I need to get my morning qahwah and girda (coffee and toast).

So I still haven't decided on how I will write in my blog.  Maybe I'll wait until tomorrow to come up with an idea.  Yes, I'll have chocolate ice cream tonight please....  You go ahead and take your shower first.






No comments:

Post a Comment